Friday, February 09, 2007

In the News

I have been scratching my head over the stories I've been reading about the female astronaut who decided it would be a good idea to get into a car, drive 900 miles from Texas to Florida, and to "talk" to a woman who she, the astronaut, thought was trying to "steal her man." Oh, did I mention that she first put on astronaut-pampers so she wouldn't have to stop? I guess she was just planning on miracling herself Florida without gas... she got there, though. What I've been scratching my head over is this: when did she exactly think that this would be, for lack of a better term, "a good idea?" I have to wonder if there was ever a moment before, or after, she put on the pampers that she said to herself "wow, this might not be the best thing to do, mebbe I should just, I dunno, call the wench." Hello, earth to crazy Astronaut woman...

I don't know the whole store, I kind of get sidetracked by the whole astronaut-pampers thing (actually, I just kind of dig writing that phrase for some strange and unknown reason), but it seems went loaded for bear: I believe I read about a knife, some pepper spray, rubber hose, and duct tape. Yeah, she was just going to "talk to her." Suddenly, NASA is "reviewing" their astronaut requirements... they probably need to add the line "no crazy people."

Okay, I can hear some of you hooting about the "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Yeah, yeah, I've heard that before, seen it, too. Its an ugly thing particularly when a woman acts out her anger towards another woman. Guys, we just beat each other up, or wrestle around, or just look mean at each other. Women, as a friend mine once said "y'all're vicisious." True dat, true dat.

Oh, and the crazy astronaut lady? She is married and has a couple of baby astronauts at home.

If this had been a movie it would of been a bad comedy. A real bad comedy, but its real life and life always much funnier than bad comedy.

In other news: Anna Nicole Smith died yesterday. Anna Nicole was one of my first teenage, pubescent crushes. She made getting Rolling Stone magazine in high school worth it, particularly when she was in a Guess Jeans ad. She made me happy, but I won't go to far with that because this is a "family friendly" blog.

I walked in from work last night and my dad said that a "famous celebrity" had died. When he said that Anna Nicole Smith had died I might have a been a bit shocked, but not all that surprised. Eventually the train wreck has to come to a stop.

So next week's celebratie gossip mags a la People and Us will be awash with stories purporting to reveal "Nicole's last night..." or "How it happened," or "Who murdered Nicole" (and they can't say OJ... okay, bad joke, horribly out of line... sorry...)

I think I should probably stop now before I get in trouble.

2 comments:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Infotainment saddens me.

Anonymous said...

Hey K

The picture USA Today published made AN Smith look a lot like Marilyn Monroe. I think she spoke about wanting to emulate her. And in her mysterious death at a similar age she seems to have done that.

Brad, from class. Like the Blog