Friday, September 03, 2004

This last week I have been making it a point to buy the New York Times. I have quite enjoyed the coverage of the RNC in New York. Some of the articles contained in the special section for the convention have been just fun to read and sometimes they were a bit, dare I say, tongune-in-cheek. For a conservative, like myself, sometimes reading the New York Times can be a tough pill to swallow, but, for the most part, I do enjoy reading it.

I read the whole thing. The front on through the last page. I might not read every article, but I have a pretty good grasp of various articles-- I am an unrefomred headlines and first paragraph reader, though, more often not, I do find myself going further into more articles.

Yesterday I bought the Times and was disgusted by the picture on the front page. It was a rather large picture, slightly off center. There were two suicide bombs set off in Israel on Tuesday that destroyed two buses and killed scores of people. The picture on the front page was of a dead woman hanging out of a window, dead. Her blood smeared on the side of the dark blue bus. I found that to be disgusting in all kinds of ways. The least of which was I really didn't need to see the picture. It was just an unpleasant way to start the day. I instantly felt sorry and disgusted for the family of the dead woman. Who needs to see their dead relative splashed on the front page of a major newspaper. No one. The only words that came to mind were: yellow journalism.

I was saddened to see in the obituaries that Indian Larry was killed in an accident over the weekend at a motorcycle rally. I didn't know Indian Larry, but I'd seen him on television a couple times. He was featured on some Discovery Channel "chopper shows" he was usually hanging out with Jessie James. I remember one time watching a show that he was on and he did a trick. He got his bike moving as fast as he could and then STOOD up on the seat, balanced himself and rode it out. I remember thinking at the time that he was going to kill himself doing that and sadly, that's how he died. He was doing his "trademark" stunt and fell off the bike. It assumed he was blinded by the sun and lost balance because of that, but they aren't really sure. It's just sad. Indian Larry was one of thos American Originals that just seems far and few between lately.

I just finished watching the RNC and I must say. The Republicans did a great job. Okay, I'm the first to admit I'm a Republican. I'm voting Republican in Novemember, matter of fact I can't wait to do so. But I tried to watch the convention with impartial eye. It was hard, but I tried. I thought the RNC was much more forward thinking and optimisic. The DNC just seemed to wallow in dispair and disgust. The Republicans did a great job of defining and boxing in John Kerry. The DNC just seemed never to get their steam going. Okay, Senator Miller from Georgia (D) might have gone a bit too far a couple times, but that's the difference between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans aren't afraid to step up and say what they mean. Democrats always seem to be more worried about not offending any one or what a particular poll says. I really don't think the election is going to be as close as some are saying. I do believe that Geore W. Bush will defet John Kerry in Novemember. It won't be a slam-dunk, but I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about hanging chads or the Supreme Court.

No comments: