Sunday, May 15, 2005

Con-You, I'll Miss Ya

This morning in church, when I should of been paying attention, but I was having a hard time concentrating because I had an unpleasant dull, throbbing migraine, I let my mind wander a bit and started thinking about the fact that my alma mater is going to be moving and a wave of sadness rolled over me. If for no other reason than the fact that the Behnken Boy/Killian Boy rivalry will be a think of the past for good. I know that with the building of the new Harms Hall a few years ago they effectively killed that any way, I hadn't heard if they'd reopened Behnken and I think that Killian was turned into office space or something (at least I think that's what I'd heard-- its tough to keep up when I'm so far away). Then I thought about all the money that had been spent in the last few years in campus improvements: new science center, sprucing up of Kramer Hall (classrooms, etc) and then that new fountain in the middle of campus. I wondered how the people that gave so much money for these projects must feel right now. I think I'd be spitting mad.

I know that UT had, in the past, offered to buy my little campus, but were always turned down. Now, I'm not sure who is planning to buy the land. I'd heard something about St. Davids Hospital has expressed interest in it. I don't know.

On one level I'm truly upset. My life in Texas was bearable because of two places: Con-You, Austin and Camp Lone Star. If it hadn't been for those two places I think I probably would of gone nuts, or at least truly hated Texas. Con-You Austin is my home. When I think of Texas I think of Con-You and I think of that little campus. Behnken Hall, the Inn and even, believe it or not, Texas Hall. That is sacred ground for me. Con-You is where I finally heard and talked with God. Con-You was the place that I finally felt comfortable with my Christianity and Lutheranism (loofrin-izm). And now, that home (both physical and spiritual) will be going away, eventually.

On the other hand, though, I'm excited about the fact that Con-You is going to be strong and continue on into the future. When I graduated I was afraid that Con-You wouldn't be around at all in ten years. Part of that, though, was because of the President and his cronies. I'm thrilled that Con-You is thinking forward and for the future. They know they are land-locked and the only way they could grow is to build up or down (ie underground).

I think that my sadness for the eventual dissapearance of my campus outweighs the joy and excitement of the possibilites of Concordia growing. I just hope that they can keep the new campus as close to Austin as they can. I think that is important.

No comments: