Saturday, July 14, 2007

Lookin for an Eddy

I took a step towards professional librarianship last night. I joined American Library Association. I don't know why it took me so long to do it. I probably should of done it a year ago, but I kept putting it off. I got the cheap-o student rate, I can still claim to be a student even though I only a have a few weeks left before I'm officially chucked out into the great librarian seas.

I have started the basic search for a job. I'm not sure exactly where I will end up, I think I wrote about that in my last entry. I know that I am interested in two areas of librarianship: reference and academic. In order of desire I'd say that academic libraries would be on the top of my list and public libraries a very close second. School librarianship isn't really even on the radar.

I think that my bookstore experience will play well in a public library setting. Lord knows I can do a booktalk at the drop of a hat and because of my seven years in the bookstore trenches I have a very wide reading base. I read just about anything and everything, yes I've even read some romance.

Ricklibrarian wrote in my comment section about being Library 2.0. That basically means being computer literate and able to work with new technologies that keep sprouting up. I feel very comfortable with new library technologies. I have done podcasts and vidcasts, I have a blog, an online diary, a myspace page, a facebook page, a flickr account, a librarything account, and I've dabbled in Secondlife a time or two, but I got creeped out by the whole alternative reality thing and never went back. So, without really trying, I have gotten into the whole Lib. 2.0 thing.

So, into the rushing waters of librarianship I go.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Good luck. Let me know if I can help.