Thursday, June 09, 2005

Half Asleep and Diggin in the Word

(note: I started to write this other day when I was half asleep. I didn't finish it, but I had enough thought left in my brain to put save it for later; however, I don't remember where I was going with it. So, I'll just let it be the way it is. It must of been very important to me at the time I don't really recall writing it as strange as that may seem).

"Now Josua was dressed in filthy clothes as he stood before the angel. The angel said to those who were standing before him, "Take off his filthy clothes." then he said to Joshua "See, I have taken away your sin, and I will put rich garments on you."
-- Zecharia 3:4,4

I read those two verses the other day. They have stayed with me and I've found myself mulling over them when I have a spare moment or two, when I don't have anything happening. Its the simpleness of the thing, I think, that made me stop and notice it.

I am clothed in sin. I am pig-penned with it. I have those little dirty puffs of sin-dirt floating aroud my ankles as I walk. I'm sure, if I can extend this "analogy" a bit further, my sinclothes stink to high heaven or lowest hell. In short, I need a bath and clean set of clothes. I am given new clothes, beautiful, clean, perfect clothes of righteousness through my faith and yet, I sully them at the earliest.

When I little I was always getting grass stains on my clothes, it got to the point that my mother refused to buy me white sneakers because I invariably found the mud puddle or muddy stream and would sink up to my ankles in mud and my nice white tennis shoe would turn an ugly mud brown. That's the way I am spiritually, I know this, I don't like it, but I know that because I am human and a fallen creature I sin and sin often, daily, by the minute, And yet, through Christ my spiritual clothing is washed, cleaned and pressed.

Paul, in Ephesians 6 talks about the "armor of God." Armor (which is define in my American Heritage Dictionary as a "protective or defensive covering") is only as strong as the faith that is behind it. We all have that chink in our armor somewhere. That little catch that makes us tumble, trip, and fall. Have you ever noticed in movies that deals with a creature of somekind (like a dragon, for example) there is always just one weakspot that the hero is able to take advantage of and the evil, dangerous creature is slain? That's the same with me. I have a weak spot...

No comments: