Sunday, October 21, 2007

In Which Your Faithful Narrator Discusses an Installation in Today's Service

There was an installation in my church today. Rev. Raji Udhayanesan, was installed as an associate pastor today. He will be minsitering to the Indian population that has sprung up here in Indiana in the last few years. The installation was done during the regularly scheduled Sunday service, some Rev. Raji's congregation sang two songs in the Tamil language, which by the way has over 200 vowels. Yeah, I have troule with the five (or six if you count "Y") let alone 200. It is always exciting to see new ministries start. It is my sincere hope and prayer that Rev. Raji is succesful in this new ministry.

There were about six or seven pastors there to lay hands on Rev. Raji's head, my father was one of them. It was so good to see my dad in his "uniform." He admitted that it felt good to "do something pastorly, again," doctors have counseled him that it is unwise to preach. When he asked why, they told him that there is a certain amount of stress that comes with preaching that would not be good for his general heart health, as a result he hasn't done much church stuff in the last few years.

Like I said there were five or six pastors there, as they gathered around to bless Rev. Raji one of them walked away. He literaly walked out of the church. The whole congregation watched him leave. They didn't hear or pay attention to the blessings. As a group we all had one question on our minds: "where's he going." I thought he might of been sick, or something, but it turned out he was offended by something. I'm not sure what, but he decided that he couldn't do handle what was goig on and left. My father said something about him saying that he was bothered about something that didn't mesh with the LCMS. I really don't know what it was, though. My dad, in his tyical, sarcastic way said: "there's a special place in Heaven for him." In other words, he's next in line for the right side of God. My dad has no time for that kind of thing.

The whole affair just seemed awfully petulent and immature. His actions took away from the whole service. In my opinion if he had a problem with something he should of maybe stepped back, but not left and then gone to the pastor of the church to discuss his concerns. Come on, man, be a professional and remember congregations see what you do. Okay, I'm done with that episode.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Yeah, he better have a good reason for that. Because, yep, "petty" is the word of the day.