Saturday, July 19, 2008

Went to Accident, Didn't Want to Leave

Its always a bit of a let down to come home from a vacation. This time it was particularly so. My mom and I went to Western Maryland, Accident, to be exact, for a few days. For two days I did nothing, and I mean this almost literally, except sit on a porch and look out on to God's great creation. Let me put it to you this way, this is how "rural" Garrett County is: there aren't any Starbucks in the immediate area. I'm not really sure where a Starbucks is and I'm okay with that. It was a big deal, and I mean a huge deal, when Garrett County got its first McDonald's in the late 80's or early 90's.

I had an opportunity to visit with Rev. Chaz Lehman and his newly minted bride. They had just gotten home from their honeymoon when I walked by and introduced myself. This was the first time I'd been back to Accident (The Cove) since my father's death in February, so I took the opportunity to visit his grave, I'd wished I'd had a bucket of water and some rags, a bird had crapped on it sometime in the past. I wiped it off the best I could, but alas there was some left. He would of been well pleased with his spot in the cemetery, he is next to Harvey and Pauline Harmon, two of his perishoners. Down the row is Hubert Thomas as well as Paul Thomas and a few others.

The high school I went to has gotten noticably bigger in physical plant than it was when I was there. I'd say its probably almost doubled in size. So much for the little school.

We also had the opportunity to check out a fairly new attraction down in McHenry. Its a manmade whitewater river. Its much more fancy than something you'd see in a water park. From what I understand the US Whitewater Olympic Team was doing some practicing there the day we were atop that particular mountain.

I said to someone last week that Accident was my home. I was asked how long I'd lived there and I said just about ten years. He then asked me how long I'd lived here in Indiana. I told him just about six years. He looked at me and said "so, Indiana is your home." Well, I guess, but I live here. Accident and Garrett County and Western Maryland are my home collective. I grew up there, for the most part. I lived there from my sixth grade year to my first sophomore year in college, when I graduated from Garrett Community College. We didn't move until 1999, I was in Clarion University by then. Going to Accident is much more than a trip, no sometimes, to me its almost a pilgrimage.

We are safely home and my vacation ends on Monday. Soon, another adventure will start. I'll enter the world of university librarian. But for the time being, I'll let the pleasant memories of Accident wash over me in tranquility.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Wait a minute — does this mean you found a new job?! Details!

And I'm glad your trip was good.