Thursday, July 31, 2008

Librarian


The Cubes. For the first time in my life I have an "office." Okay, its more like a cubicle. It is located behind the door that states Library Personel Only, in big black letters. The door is an offwhite, perhaps slightly greyish door. It has a shiny silver knob on it. I push said knob down, said door opens. Walk down the hallway and to your left are a couple of offices, there is a pile of books there, too. On the right is a small room that has lockers in it, but that room also is full of library carts, or H-carts. The next room down on the right is the "triangle." Its a room that is somewhat triangularly shaped. That is where my "office" is located. I am in the middle. To the left is Jeff, he was just awarded his PhD. in History (long live the Humanities major!) To my right is Chalanda. I haven't had an opportunity to talk to either of them much, but they seem like nice folks.

I started my new job as a reference librarian this past Tuesday. I was, to say the least, a bit frightened by the prospect. I've been selling books for the last eight years. Actually "being" a librarian was more of an etheral thought, I never quite believed it would happen, but happen it has. I have a cubicle! I also have a computer, and a phone. I have arrived! Now I can watch
Office Space with a better understanding. Actually, I hope not.

This is where I work. I am a parttime reference librarian. I am going to be paid well, but there will be no benefits (at least not right away). But I think the benefits to my resume and experience gained will be just as, if not more, valuable. One of the things I am most excited about is the regular schedule. I will be working mainly days during the week. I will be keeping some hours at my current job (retail) but hopefully just a few days a week (read that no more than three).

I have found myself sort of pinching myself. Making sure its for real. I keep expecting a call that says "DWC, we were just pullin your chain..." that hasn't happened yet; so, I guess I'm in like Flynn, at least for the foreseeable future.

I am tempered in my enthusiasm by one thing: this position is funded for a year. It might not be around next year, but I do take comfort in the fact that it was funded last year. I got this position kind of by accident. A friend of mine and former classmate had the position before me, your faithful narrator. He, Brad, recently got a job in Atlanta and one day I stopped by to wish him Godspeed, fair-the-well, and heartfelt congratulations. Suddenly, I had a brain enema. I carry my resume and references wherever I go. I handed said resume and references to Brad and asked him to forward them to the person in charge. He did so and added his own letter of recommendation. A few days later I got an email from the guy in charge of reference asking me to come by for an interview. So I did.

This is a blessing on many fronts. Experience wise this is tremendous, but so too financially. I'll be able to pay bills that have been dogging me for awhile (read that credit card bills). For this I am most excited.

I can honestly say this now: "Hello, I'm a librarian" and mean it. That feels so good. Really, it does.

3 comments:

jillymae said...

that's awesome, loof. congrats!!!

Frank Gillespie said...

Congrats DWC! Good to hear you got a job as a librarian. No need to approve the message for public consumption, I just wanted you know it was good to hear good news.

Frank Gillespie

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

So happy for you — congratulations!