Friday, October 19, 2007

In Which Your Narrator Gets Caught in the Great Exepience Conundrum

There is a saying, I think, that goes something like this: "I wasn't hired because I didn't have enough experience. How does one get experience if they won't hire me?" That's my conundrum today. I did not get the library job I applied for the other day, it went to someone who had more public library experience than me. That's a problem for people like me in Central Indiana. This place is lousy with librarians. When realize that there are at least two, maybe three schools that are putting librarians: the two that come to mind right now are IU-Bloomington and IUPUI, my alma mater. Of course they have MLS programs in the other satalite campuses of the IU system. So, the place is lousy with librarians.

I've had a hard time figuring out which direction I want to go with my librarianship. For a long time I thought I wanted to be an academic librarian, but that's an awful lot of work. I still do, to a degree, but I think my talents, such that they are, would be better used in the public library realm.

I know I should probably look outside of Indiana for a job, but I'm not comfortable leaving my parents. I'm not afraid of living on my own, I can do that. I just don't want to be far away in case something happens and I need to get back quickly.

I can tell you one thing: obviously that job I applied for was not "from God" as I wrote in a past entry. If it was I would of gotten it, right? That might of blasphemy...

Well, back to the employment pages...

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I was/am sorry to hear about this.. Maybe keeping trying for part-time gigs so you can get the experience they're looking for down the road?