Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Neck-snap Music Memories

Erin hinted that I needed blog more, I would, but I have been at loss as to what I should actually blog about. There is enough drivel and bad opinion in the cybersphere, and my short, not vert well thought-out blogs will do nothing more than muddy the waters, or perhaps just cause some more pond scum to cling to the edge.

One must have a topic to write about. I could pontificate on nothing and you would be rewarded for your endevoured reading with, well, nothing. I figured I'd mine Erin's blog for a topic. She wrote about music and songs and how particular songs whisk her back to time and place. As I read the post I let my mind wander down the path of amnesia. I was thinking what songs rip me back to the past. There are two that came to mind. And they both take me to the same place: the student lounge at GCC, circa 1993/1994.

The first song that knocks me back to the future is Beck's "Loser":


For some reason, I taken back to the pool table. I never really played pool, I would knock the balls around for fun and to "play with physics." I was usually there after lunch or before class. I think it was the hook that got me. That guitar riff at the beginning. I remember just kind of bopping along to the tune. I'm not doing a very good job of getting the feeling across.

The other song that zaps me back to the past is The Cranberries "Zombie."
This song I have an even more visceral reaction to and I don't mean that in a bad way. I remember playing Mortal Kombat. I was never good at Mortal Kombat, but it was fun to play. We'd have tournaments and the like.

I think one of the reasons why I have such a deep memory neck-snap to these songs is they were in heavy, and I mean heavy rotation on MTV and that was the only place I could watch MTV when I was living in Garrett County. We didn't have cable at home (that wasn't a bad thing, either).

This entry has kind of rambled and teetered and tottered a bit. By the gist is there.

2 comments:

jillymae said...

I LOVE both those songs, and totally enjoy screaming out Zombie on occassion! Oh, and I was GOOD at Mortal Kombat...miss that game :)

Extra Gravy said...

That Beck video makes me happy.