Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Music to Rock By

The funny thing about Toccata is that as I listen to it I imagine Bach being very angry when he wrote it. For some reason it comes across as being an angry piece of music, at the very least a very dark piece. I am totally enthralled with it. I've heard it before, but I've never been able to hit repeat again and again. And with my new-car stero system (a Pioneer, six speaker) it goes Boom, or at least Bang.

I'm sure I've gotten some funny looks from folks as they look over at my car and I'm playing air-organ on my steering wheel at a traffic light.

Thethirdworstpoet noted me saying that she prefers Beethoven to Back. I enjoy Beethoven alot, too. The Ninth Symphony is, in my opinion, a God inspired piece. The piece takes me places no other piece of music can. Everytime I listen to it I am uplifted. The Fifth is good, too, isn't that dumb phrase "the Fifth is good, too" (what a rube I am), but it doesn't transport me like the Ninth. The other Beethoven Symphony that gets me is the Pastoral symphony, the Sixth. That one... wow.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons is another piece of music that just grabs ahold and won't let go. I think Winter is my favorite portion of that, its either Winter, or Fall. The whole is amazing, though.

I can't forget the 1812 Overture, either. Nope. That one has a special memory place in my heart. When I was a kid I used to live across the Hudson River from West Point and every summer they had a concert series. Every Labor Day weekend they would have a big 1812 Overture concert that included three or four howitzer batteries firing blanks at the right times... to an nine or ten year old you can't get much better than that.

No comments: