Friday, February 24, 2006

Lutheran 'Nival XVIII

(Subtitles provided by White Zombie)


So, it seems the yours truly, the Disgruntled World Citizen, the only practitioner of the strange, yet fulfilling, version of Lutheranism called Loofrinism will be your guide through the wild and crazy world of the Lutheran Carnival, or as I like to call it the 'Nival!

So, seeing how I lost the first couple paragraphs of my first draft (because I hit the wrong button...) I'll give this another go. I've got some White Zombie in the cd player, I'm feeling we a bit "chuff" and I'll be turning 32 on Monday... what say we get this party started and see what happens...

Knuckle Duster

Katie's Beer sends two posts about Dawn Eden. Don't worry, I hadn't heard of her either. It seems that New York Post took umbrage at Eden's writing about her Christian faith and her conservative view point. In her second post she continues her thoughts on Miss Dawn Eden's plight. TK asks this question: " Has the day finally come where a reporter can have opinions and beliefs and still be given a fair chance as a mainstream journalist?" Good question.

I am Legend

Dan, our own liturgical defensive lineman comes at us full throtle style with a couple entries. I, as a retail dawg, can totally dig on this entry. I sometimes I have to work on early Sunday afternoons and late Saturday nights, so I am unable to go to church. Dan has the same problem, not because he's a retail dawg, but because his line of work takes him to distant lands like Oklahoma where there is a dirth of Lutheran Churches.
And the Lutheran churches there are only have services on Sunday, that's all well and good, but it would seem that it might be a good idea to have a service on Thursday evening or something. Now, with this post Dan "identifies three parts of a worship service that a pastor can use to share Christ with the congregation. Dan advocates good worship practices with light humor and plenty of
Scripture references." (No, I don't think Dan is a robot, but he is the Liturgical Defensive line...)

Super-Charger Heaven

Josh S. who writes over at Here We Stand sent this entry. This is one of those posts that you have to stop and read a couple times. Its got many levels. He does a nice job of defining and explaining what Forgiveness is. He makes it a point to say that "forgiveness" is different than "excusing," much like there is a difference between "speaking" and "talking" and "listening" and "hearing." Josh tells us that forgiveness takes more energy than excusing and then he discusses how that affects (positively) to his relationships. This one is a thinker.

More Human Then Human

Rev. Snyder comes at us with this post inwhich he tries his darnedest to explain in nice simple terms what the difference between the LCMS and ELCA is. Its complicated, but hey, if your faithful narrator and Carnival barker can get it he musta done good, right? Then, oh then my fun-loving droogies the Rev. springs THIS submission on us! I know this is a question I've often thought about. Where do we Lutherans get off thinking we can go right God and ask for forgiveness? The Rev. steps up and explains it all nice and simple like.

Rev. Snyder is a bloggin machine. Over at Aardie's Alley he breaks it down when it comes to the "Lutheran Presence" (am I allowed to get cheeky and call it the Real Presence) in the blog-o-sphere with a two part submission.
The first part being here and the second part being here. And then Rev. Snyder writes some thoughts on the goings on in South Dakota over abortions.

Then we are pointed to the Luther Library in which two bookreviews are highlighted. Emily gives high marks to this book and Polly gives her thoughts on this timely book. (Editorial note: I'm not sure, but I think that there must be many Rev. Snyders. He is prodigious in his literary output... and if I may say so myself it is all worth reading... I just hope there isn't a test later...) I hope he didn't mind me snaggin his little red-shirted Aardie... its just sa cuuuuute....

Greasepaint and Monkey Brains

I was originally going to call this part "La Sexorcisto," in good taste I did not, but you know, with a blog named Hot Lutheran on Lutheran Action you fairly beg for it, don't you? All kidding aside, though Sir Sean gives us a great explanation regarding the "holy howdy" (I chuckled over the term) or the Salutation in the divine service. Then Sean gives the old liturgical nod to Dan the Liturgical Defensive Lineman he says that this post is just top-notch and way cool, and you know, I have to agree.


Spider Baby (Yeah-Yeah-Yeah)

Theresa, who also writes Be Strong in the Grace hops back into the 'Nival with this entry which she describes this way "Did Jesus die for the opportunity to save us? Or did He die to save us? Lately, I've been seeing a bumper sticker which really irritates me." Uh-oh... I'll have to remember not to put that sitcker on my car! And finally, with
this post TK turns the spiritual mirror on herself and does some self-examination.


One Big Crunch

Rebecca, who has the pinkest blog on the net sent us this post she wrote in her explanation:
(I) reflect on relationships that seem tangled beyond repair. These relationships reveal to us that "we are in bondage to sin and unable to free ourselves." But it is in our needinessthat we encounter grace and the almighty power of God.
Yeah, you got an Amen over here, sister.

Thunder Kiss

Kelly sent us some artwork for enjoyment and edification (and trust me Kelly, yours truly needs all the edification he can get!) Wonderful work, gorgeous... There seems to be a lack of good Christian art now a days, well in my humble opinion Kelly fits the bill. Right on.

Blood, Milk, and Sky

Polly's entry almost got lost in the shuffle and for that I am very sorry, but I'm glad I caught it. She asks some good questions and brings up some good points. The kids in her town need comfort of God and Christ not the "psycho-babbling" tramau specalists...

El Phantasmo and the Chicken Run Blasto- Rama

And finally, since it is 12:13 am and I'm starting to get loopy I offer up my writings for critique. The first discusses my thoughts on faith through my cat. The second deals with thoughts I had while I was working on a reference assignment for one of mygraduate classes. I ask the question "what is a total Christian?" I don't know if I answer the question I pose to myself, but its something I wrestle with frequently. And last, but not least I offer one more in which I talk about my thoughts on two iconic images from the realm of Christian art.

So there it is. The newest Carnival. I hope through reading these posts you gain some insight into your world. May your faith be strengthened and your walk made smooth. Thanks for letting me host this week.

Blessings to you.


For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. -- Eph 3: 14-21

4 comments:

TKls2myhrt said...

Thank you for hosting the Carnival this week! Great job, as usual.

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

Thanks for the effort and the additional comments. Rob Zombie would be quite the unique church father. :D

Sean said...

well done... except that in order to be a REAL zombie post you need to have a lot more "yeah"s in there.

The Terrible Swede said...

Thanks for hosting, Karl.