Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I Got Tagged

I was supposed to do this the other day, but I just haven't had a chance to sit down and really think about it, much. I was tagged by Confessional Lutheran, who was tagged by Pensy. I had to back track a bit to find out the original idea behind the thing. Here it is:
Imagine that a local philanthropist is hosting an event for local high school students and has asked you to pick out five to ten books to hand out as door prizes. At least one book should be funny and at least one book should provide some history of Western Civilization and at least one book should have some regional connection. The philanthropist doesn't like foul language (but will allow some four-letter words in context, such as expressed during battle by soldiers). Otherwise things are pretty wide open. What do you pick?



The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt a wonderfully written book. I couldn't put it down. Roosevelt pretty much did everything a guy could in the late 19th and early 20th centuries (cowboy, soldier, govenor of New York, President of the United States...) a must read.

Confederacy of Dunces I'm not sure why I like this book so much, but I do. I think it is one of the best novels I've ever read. One of the craziest characters I've ever met in literature.

Believe it or not I think Red Badge of Courage is another must read. The language in this book is truly poetic.

For regional fare, I'd recommend Here is Your War by Ernie Pyle (a Hoosier born writer). Pyle doesn't worry about the generals. No, he takes you to the trenches and the long hot marches and bloody aftermat of D-day. There is no romance here just stark reality.

For a nonfiction adventure story: Shadow Divers. This book is about divers who go down to sunken ships and go further down than humans should go. This was a white knuckler. I read this in a day and half and it has stayed with me. Amazing read.

I think I'll tag: Texas Cooking, PunkIsrael(aka david bledsoe), and 'Bek

2 comments:

Xrysostom said...

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt isn't one I listed when I was tagged, but I agree on its worth. I rank it among the best 3 or 4 bios and autobiographies I've ever read. Another would be The Autobiography of William Allen White.

wps+

rebekah said...

did i tell you i liked your choices ? far more intelligent than mine ... i like this new layout too ... if you want to fix the profile thing from being all wonky on the page, resize the photos you post to be smaller ... i' m just sayin' ...